In Other Worlds
Please Log in to reveal all the posts. Membership has it's privelages.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

In Other Worlds
Please Log in to reveal all the posts. Membership has it's privelages.
In Other Worlds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Empty
Latest topics
» Die Rolling, HOW to
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2023 7:17 am by Narrator

» The City; Game discussion
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 11:24 am by Narrator

» House Rathien and the Paramandic Oath
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 2:00 pm by Narrator

» Divine Code
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 1:55 pm by Narrator

» Happiness
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 1:45 pm by Narrator

» Freedom at Last
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 7:27 am by Narrator

» Gear
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 11:44 am by Narrator

» Role Call
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 12:27 pm by Elridge Cleaver

» vacation
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 5:51 pm by Gavin Harrison

Most active topic starters
Narrator
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_vote_lcapDoubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_voting_barDoubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_vote_rcap 
Tigerwasp
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_vote_lcapDoubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_voting_barDoubts and Discoveries - Page 17 I_vote_rcap 
Red Samaritan

Doubts and Discoveries

+3
Galatea
Southern Cross
Narrator
7 posters

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Empty Re: Doubts and Discoveries

Post by Armor Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:39 am

Armor ambles over to the rental agency -- if there's a choice, he'll naturally pick one he's a major investor in.

Armor
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
App/Cha/Manip: 4/8+/9
Demeanor: Optomist
Experience:
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Left_bar_bleue30/500Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/500)

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Chronos Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:53 am

{OOC: If/when we get a car, Doc scans it for those darn 'fire alarms'... and he's got some things he wants to say while in transit in a less public environment than the airport}

Doctor Chronos
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
App/Cha/Manip: 13/5/15
Demeanor: Paragon
Experience:
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Left_bar_bleue0/0Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrator Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:53 am

The member 'Doctor Chronos' has done the following action : Die Roll

'2D10' : 2

Narrator
Conductor

Character sheet
App/Cha/Manip: 0
Demeanor:
Experience:
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Left_bar_bleue0/0Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrator Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:13 am

Armor is able to swagger a pretty decent discount on a fancy and practical current year rental. It comes complete with all the bells and whistles one can imagine, from an OP-net direct linkup to self-parking and automatic pilot.

No alarms or sensors seem to be present on the vehicle although there are quite a few after-market gizmos under the hood that, at the moment, seem to perplex the team as to their purpose.

Narrator
Conductor

Character sheet
Demeanor:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerwasp Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:46 am

Looking at the technical array beneath the hood of the vehicle, Lucy is as ever completely at a loss to understand any of it. However, she willingly offers to 'fix' anything that they have concerns about. Given her unfortunate ability to curse any item of technology, she doubted that the vehicle would last long after she'd pulled and pushed a few items. Of course, if they actually wanted to reach their destination, they would be well served to keep her well away from anything crucial to the conveyance's effectiveness as a mode of transport.

Tigerwasp
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
App/Cha/Manip: 21/5/5
Demeanor: Bon Vivant
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Armor Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Armor looks the car over, comfortably settling behind the wheel if nothing unusual strikes him.

{OOC: I know you prefer to make those rolls -- in this case, against an OV/RV in the 7-8 range.)

Armor
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Left_bar_bleue30/500Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Empty_bar_bleue  (30/500)

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrator Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:53 pm

The car seems fitting to all those looking it over so far. Everything seems in place and functioning as it should.
It has a full tank of gas and over 12,000 songs built into its on-board music stash.
Narrator
Narrator
Conductor

Character sheet
Demeanor:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerwasp Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:18 am

Given Lucy's incredible ability to bring mechanical devices to redundancy, without really trying, it would seem the wisest course for her to be seated in the rear seats. This in no way stops her from being quite didactic in the musical selection: No gospel! No Country and Western! No Middle of the Road banality! No Jazz! Apart from these she's quite easily pleased.
Tigerwasp
Tigerwasp
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Armor Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:55 am

If everyone is ready, let's drive off. {OOC: keep scanning ahead 6 APs, once every 6 APs.}

Armor
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Chronos Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:06 am

After they're underway Doc asks, "Lucy? Back at the airport the cops thought someone looking like you broke security. Obviously you were with us, but do you have any insight on what happened? Was that a normal occurrence or could your temporal alternate still be around?"
Doctor Chronos
Doctor Chronos
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerwasp Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:12 am

"Oh that." Lucy ceased loking out of the window. She turned with an impish grin. "It happens all the time. I think I'm just used to it." It evidently was not a matter she gave any real thought to, as she immediately returned to surveying the passing scenery. Certainly the incident at the airport was quite trivial compared to some of the other mishaps that had befallen her.
Tigerwasp
Tigerwasp
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Chronos Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:23 am

Doc had heard of such things. There were timelines were lots of supers were... not so much unlucky as trouble magnets. Fate constantly worked to make their lives interesting. Doc mentally filed this away for future consideration and moved on.

Doc said to everyone, "There was a 'fire alarm' device on the airplane. The airports had something along that line but MUCH more developed. I don't think it was a stronger detector, I suspect it was a power negator."
Doctor Chronos
Doctor Chronos
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerwasp Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:38 am

"Really?" Lucy queried. "How can technology inhibit occult based powers?" She immediately felt rather foolish for having asked. Her own ability to impair technology, albeit completely involuntarily, made her feel that such things would likely work both ways. She felt relieved that she was away from the device. She had grown very dependent upon her regnerative abilities and did wish to see them in any way diminished. It struck her then that the others had yet to see anything of her abilities at all. They were being far more patient than she would have been in their places. Still, she felt reasonably confident that suh patience would be rewarded. Her typical good mood once again fully restored, she settled into the comfortable seat and watched the world pass by.
Tigerwasp
Tigerwasp
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Chronos Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Doc shrugged and replied, "The short answer is if it can work on me then it can work on you. The longer answer..."

Doc got his thoughts in order and said, "Keeping in mind that I can be wrong and the rules can be different on different timelines, in broad strokes, when it comes to how we plug into the universe, there are three types of supers."

"Call the first Type-A. We're the easiest to find because we're obvious. That's me, you, Joe, and Southern Cross. We can get to our powers differently, but super-strength, reality bending like Temporal Manipulation and seriously powerful magic all accesses the same underlying rules of reality. When most people use the word 'super' or 'meta' this is the group they mean, and we're also the group that has physical and mental oddities."

"Type-B is much rarer, or maybe just harder to find. Sometimes they're called psions and they tend to have things like telepathy. They plug into the universe a totally different way. As a general rule they're weaker but more stable and sane than Type-A. All of their potential powers are less flashy and less powerful. I can tell they connect into something but what they're doing is so uncompatible with what we do I can't read it. I'm pretty sure this is how Truth works."

"Type-C is Armor. With him right in front of me I can't tell if he's plugging into the universe at all. To a first approximation he doesn't have any powers, he's a normal human. The problem is I don't believe that, I think he's doing something just so far off the radar I can't see it."

Joe said, "Cut to the chase Doc. You think those negators wouldn't work on Armor. But all of the rest of us could have our powers negated."

Doc nodded and said, "Almost. Depending on how strong those things are, we could all be powerless humans for a while. You on the other hand...."

Joe finished for him with a grimace, "I'd just die. Got it."
Doctor Chronos
Doctor Chronos
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerwasp Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:10 am

"Well, it seems that is something we shall have to avoid." Lucy replied.

"I thought losing my regen' was bad, but dying kind of eclipses it a bit Joe." She didn't really want to ask any details fearing it would involve a complex explanations of various timelines and alternate realities. All she needed to know was that the devices were fatal. She idly wondered, if it came to the crunch, could she zap the thing before it activated. That is, if they encountered another in hostile environs. The problem with that plan was her inability to spot the darn things.
Tigerwasp
Tigerwasp
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Armor Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Armor chimes in. "Could the devices likewise negate tech, Doc?"

Armor
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Chronos Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Somewhat embarrassed, Joe replied to Lucy, "It's ok. And it's not like they're zapping everyone they run across either."

Doc replied, "Normal tech, no. Technology that simulates powers... probably. The key issue is whether the tech deals with the universe like our powers do. If you build a gadget that only supers can use, then that's empowered. If you build a gadget that normal humans could, at least in theory, take apart and then duplicate, then you'd be fine."

Doc gave an annoyed-but-intrigued handwave and added, "Which brings us back to whether or not you count as a normal human since you're going to understand your own stuff. The good news is I can just check if something counts as empowered, so we could at least expect it to work or fail."
Doctor Chronos
Doctor Chronos
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Armor Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:22 pm

"Actually," replies Armor, "I was merely wondering if we could tweak one of those 'negation' devices to negate other 'detection' and 'negation' devices." He gives a shrug. "As for my gear, feel free to check it the way you checked me -- though I can assure you it requires no powers for operation or duplication." He flips Doc an omni-gadget.

Armor
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Chronos Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 am

Doc caught the gadget with fluid grace and took a long look at it.

{OOC: One scan and then if it's not a q-gadget he'll do another in disbelief}
Doctor Chronos
Doctor Chronos
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrator Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 am

'2D10' : 10, 3
Narrator
Narrator
Conductor

Character sheet
Demeanor:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Chronos Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Doc took a long look at the device and then said, "Interesting... I stand corrected. I think this is an empowered gadget but a Type-B. Like Truth it's not going to show up on their radar and those negators won't do anything to it."

Doc handed it back saying, "I've never seen anything like it, I didn't even know Type-B stuff could be made. Did you make this yourself?"

Seeing the implications, Joe looked at Doc sharply.
Doctor Chronos
Doctor Chronos
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Armor Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:38 am

Armor pockets the device with his off hand, still driving unconcernedly. "Slapped it together at my private lab in California; the real bear was rediscovering this breakthrough." He's rummaged around for the philosopher's stone by now, and passes it back for examination. "Spent a lot of time hitting the books on that one, researching the lost art of alchemy and reverse-engineering a replica. Do you figure it'll set off any detectors?"

Armor
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Chronos Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 am

Doc looked at the stone closely.

{OOC: Same Deal}
Doctor Chronos
Doctor Chronos
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrator Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 am

'2D10' : 2, 8
Narrator
Narrator
Conductor

Character sheet
Demeanor:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Chronos Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Doc said, "Um... I think this is a low level type A gadget. It kind of fades into the background... and that's me, knowing what to look for and that I should. Somewhere between very, very doubtful and flatly impossible that it can be detected."

Doc looked very thoughtful and said, "Type A and B. Odd that you, that anyone can go both ways. Quantum and Psi cancel each other out, everyone has to pick one or the other. But in any case your stuff is off the radar. This could be the key for non-detection."
Doctor Chronos
Doctor Chronos
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerwasp Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:57 am

The conversation completely passed by Lucy. she sat in the rear of the capacious vehicle staring out of the window at the passing scenery whilst contemplating various outfits or costume changes that she might try.
Her long, high heeled boots were surprisingly comfortable, even after the long journey. Still, she was looking forward to trying on her even higher costume boots. She idly wondered if she would have time to do some simple patrolling. It wasn't as if she could assist the others much in the unravelling of this world's geo-political infrastructure.
Tigerwasp
Tigerwasp
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Armor Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Still driving, Armor casually reaches a palm back for the philosopher's stone. "So we've maybe got one piece of the puzzle -- and I expect our upcoming meet-and-greet will provide a little more. Shouldn't be much longer."

Armor
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrator Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:47 pm

NARRATIVE UPDATE
March 27, 2010 11:30 AM
Lansing, Michigan

Participants: Armor,Southern Cross, Doctor Chronos, Tigerwasp.

All told, the drive from the airport to the address given by Heller is about 20 away in traffic. The location is a renovated Navy academy building, interesting turn in the logic of reality here actually. The parking lot is half empty, some have taken off early for the lunch hour, and finding a spot is easy. Finding a spot not too near some loitering vagrants is difficult. Not quite homeless, the people look more discouraged and apathetic than the average beggar. Armor is able to find one where the nearest person is just over 3 parking spots away.

The lot of you seems way over dressed compared to the local flavor but an armed security guard at the main entrance seems ever vigilant and none of you garner any more than a quick but sizing glance, all of you save Lucy. A few whistles and hoots mixed with a few gasps and “OH MY GOD’s” find you all entering the building where Heller is likely expecting you inside. The retired academy has been sectioned off and now is home to 12 separate offices running businesses ranging from High school tutoring to Security to private investigations.

ON the sign listing the tenants someone has recently posted a poster with a picture of an upright dog walking a crawling human. The satire is labeled with the bold red words ::REGISTER NOW?!"".

All the doors are solid old wood and have aluminum letters declaring what business lies therein. Hellers office is on the third (top floor) next to the elevator.
Narrator
Narrator
Conductor

Character sheet
Demeanor:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Cross Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:39 am

"Somebody else isn't happy with the Council of Gaia" Southern Cross replied."Let's hope they can offer us some help".

Southern Cross
Agent
Agent

Character sheet
App/Cha/Manip: 3/6/6
Demeanor: Honest Abe
Experience:
Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Left_bar_bleue25/500Doubts and Discoveries - Page 17 Empty_bar_bleue  (25/500)

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Chronos Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:05 am

Doc looks around for more of those 'fire alarm' things. Wink
Doctor Chronos
Doctor Chronos
Acolyte
Acolyte

Character sheet
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum